During the current coronavirus crisis, the Real Deal office remains available for contact via telephone and/or email. If you have any questions about the campaign, please email email@example.com or telephone 01943 609247. We will look forward to assisting you now … Continue reading
Social media: Operation MONTY keeps shoppers and businesses safe from counterfeit goods in the run up to the festive season!
The National Markets Group for IP Protection (NMG), a multi-agency focus group aimed at reducing the availability of counterfeit goods at physical markets and online, is warning consumers to watch out for fake, and potentially dangerous goods, that may appear on social media in the run up to the festive shopping season.
With Black Friday fast approaching and consumers vying for bargains, traders in counterfeit goods are looking to exploit the retail shift to on-line buying by attempting to offer often dangerous, counterfeit goods on social media platforms.
“Counterfeiters operating on social media draw in unsuspecting consumers, using well-known brand names, to sell their illicit goods” said Graham Mogg, Intelligence Co-Ordinator at the Anti-Counterfeiting Group (ACG) and Chair of the NMG.
“This criminal activity undermines the fabric of society, robbing legitimate business of their income, placing consumers at risk and funds serious and organised crime. A whole range of counterfeit products including clothing, footwear, accessories, watches and even potentially dangerous goods such as toys, cosmetics, perfumes and electrical goods are being offered on these platforms.”
- Stevenage Indoor Market is the Real Deal!
- It’s the Real Deal – Cirencester Market and Gloucestershire Trading Standards are working together to protect consumers and legitimate businesses
- Let’s Talk Real Deal
- Newcastle-under-Lyme Market is the Real Deal
- Markets ‘Building Back Better’ with the Real Deal
- Resources to help market businesses stay ‘IP legal’
- IP Crime and Enforcement Report 19/20 highlights the importance of combining ‘behavioural change amongst consumers’ and ‘enforcement’.
- Top tips on how to avoid falling for fake goods
- Real Deal: helping markets to give an added assurance to customers and traders